Protocols are the essential units of the entire process that is based on the internet. Since, Internet of Things devices are ruling technology across the world, thus it is an undeniable fact that protocols are plays a vital role in establishing an internet connectivity between different IoT device.
Looking at the early stage of internet, TCP/IP protocol came into existence with the growth of internet. Slowly and gradually, with the growing number of internet users, IP led the integration of networks to transform into a big network. Resulting of this, the number of internet users reached to approximately 2,267 billion. Moreover, as per the current analysis, a huge number of application server protocols are following TCP/IP as the standard.
In brief, TCP/IP can be defined as a transport protocol that supports applications directly. If more protocols are added to it as the layer, additional features can be availed. Some of the protocols that can be used as the layer include HTTP (Hypertext Transfer Protocol), SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol), TELNET (Telecommunication Network), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol).
- In addition to TCP (Transport Control Protocol), UDP(User Datagram Protocol) is also a protocol that plays a crucial role in transferring the data.
- IP is located beneath UDP and TCP protocols.
- IP datagram offers the basic transmission mechanism to all TCP/IP networks such as ATM, Ethernet and token ring networks.
- Being reliable and connection oriented, TCP establish the connection before transmitting the data.
- UDP is a datagram protocol that own limited capabilities and offer no guarantee of the arrival of message on the other end.
This is how; internet protocol plays an important role in IoT devices floating these days in the marketplace and among users across the globe.